Save | me, O God;
* for the waters are come in, | even •unto• my soul.
2 I stick fast in the deep mire, where no | ground is;
* I am come into deep waters, so that the | floods run over me.
3 I am weary of crying; my | throat is dry;
* my sight faileth me for waiting so | long upon my God.
4 They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs | of my head;
* they that are mine enemies, and would de- | -stroy me •guiltless,• are mighty.
5 I paid them the things that I | never took:
* God, thou knowest my simpleness, and my faults | are not hid from thee.
6 Let not them that trust in thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for | my cause;
* let not those that seek thee be confounded through me, O | Lord God of Israel.
7 And why? for thy sake have I | suffered• reproof;
* shame hath | covered my face.
8 I am become a stranger | unto• my brethren,
* even an alien | unto• my mother's children.
9 For the zeal of thine house hath even | eaten me;
* and the rebukes of them that rebuked | thee are •fallen• upon me.
10 I wept, and chastened my- | -self with fasting,
* and that was | turned to my reproof.
11 I put on | sackcloth also,
* and they | jested• upon me.
12 They that sit in the gate | speak against me,
* and the | drunkards• make songs upon me.
13 But, LORD, I make my prayer | unto thee
* in | an ac•cepta•ble time.
14 Hear me, O God, in the multitude | of thy mercy,
* even in the | truth of thy salvation.
15 Take me out of the mire, | that I sink not;
* O let me be delivered from them that hate me, and | out •of the• deep waters.
16 Let not the water-flood drown me, neither let the deep | swallow• me up;
* and let not the pit | shut her mouth upon me.
17 Hear me, O LORD, for thy loving- | kindness• is comfortable;
* turn thee unto me according to the | multi•tude of thy mercies.
18 And hide not thy face from thy servant; for | I am• in trouble:
* O | haste thee, and hear me.
19 Draw nigh unto my | soul, and save it;
* O deliver me, be- | -cause of mine enemies.
20 Thou hast known my reproach, my shame, and | my dishonour:
* mine adversaries are | all in thy sight.
21 Reproach hath broken my heart; I am | full of heaviness:
* I looked for some to have pity on me, but there was no man, neither found I | any• to comfort me.
22 They gave me | gall to eat;
* and when I was thirsty they gave me | vinegar to drink.
23 Let their table be made a snare to take them- | -selves withal;
* and let the things that should have been for their wealth be unto them | an oc•casion• of falling.
24 Let their eyes be blinded, | that they see not;
* and ever | bow thou down their backs.
25 Pour out thine indig- | -nation• upon them,
* and let thy wrathful dis- | -pleasure• take hold of them.
26 Let their habit- | -ation• be void,
* and no man to | dwell in their tents.
27 For they persecute him whom | thou hast smitten;
* and they talk how they may vex | them whom thou hast wounded.
28 Let them fall from one wickedness | to another,
* and | not come •into• thy righteousness.
29 Let them be wiped out of the book | of the living,
* and not be | written• among the righteous.
30 As for me, when I am poor | and in heaviness,
* thy help, O | God, shall lift me up.
31 I will praise the Name of God | with a song,
* and magni- | -fy it• with thanksgiving.
32 This also shall | please the LORD
* better than a bullock | that hath horns and hoofs.
33 The humble shall consider this, | and be glad:
* seek ye after God, | and your soul shall live.
34 For the LORD | heareth• the poor,
* and de- | -spiseth not his prisoners.
35 Let heaven and | earth praise him:
* the sea, and | all that •moveth• therein.
36 For God will save Sion, and build the | cities• of Judah,
* that men may dwell there, and | have it in possession.
37 The posterity also of his servants shall in- | -herit it;
* and they that love his | Name shall dwell therein.
Glory be to the Father, and | to the Son,
* and | to the Holy Ghost,
As it was in the beginning, is now, and | ever shall be,
* world without | end. Amen.2nd half: v. 37