Truly God is loving | unto Israel:
* even unto such as | are •of a• clean heart.
2 Nevertheless, my feet were | almost gone,
* my | treadings• had well-nigh slipt.
3 And why? I was grieved | at the wicked:
* I do also see the un- | -godly• in such prosperity.
4 For they are in no | peril• of death;
* but are | lusty and strong.
5 They come in no misfortune like | other folk;
* neither are they | plagued like other men.
6 And this is the cause that they are so | holden• with pride,
* and cruelty covereth | them as a garment.
7 Their eyes | swell with fatness,
* and they do | even what they lust.
8 They corrupt other, and speak of | wicked blasphemy;
* their talking is a- | -gainst the Most High.
9 For they stretch forth their mouth | unto• the heaven,
* and their tongue | goeth through the world.
10 Therefore fall the people | unto them,
* and thereout suck | they no small advantage.
11 Tush, say they, how should | God perceive it?
* is there knowledge | in the Most High?
12 Lo, these are the | ungodly,
* these prosper in the world, and these have | riches in possession:
13 And I said, Then have I cleansed my | heart in vain,
* and | washed my hands in innocency.
14 All the day long have | I been punished,
* and | chastened every morning.
15 Yea, and I had almost said | even• as they;
* but lo, then I should have condemned the gener- | -ation of thy children.
16 Then thought I to under- | -stand this;
* but it | was too hard for me,
17 Until I went into the sanctu- | -ary• of God:
* then understood I the | end of these men;
18 Namely, how thou dost set them in | slipper•y places,
* and castest them down, | and destroyest them.
19 O how suddenly do | they consume,
* perish, and | come •to a• fearful end!
20 Yea, even like as a dream | when •one a•waketh;
* so shalt thou make their image to | vanish out •of the• city.
21 Thus my | heart was grieved,
* and it went | even through my reins.
22 So foolish was | I, and ignorant,
* even as it were a | beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless, I am | alway• by thee;
* for thou hast holden me | by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me | with thy counsel,
* and after that re- | -ceive me with glory.
25 Whom have I in | heaven• but thee?
* and there is none upon earth that I desire in com- | -parison of thee.
26 My flesh and my | heart faileth;
* but God is the strength of my heart, | and my •portion• for ever.
27 For lo, they that forsake | thee shall perish;
* thou hast destroyed all them that are un- | -faithful unto thee.
28 But it is good for me to hold me fast by God, to put my trust in the | Lord GOD,
* and to speak of all thy works in the gates | of the •daughter• of Sion.
Glory be to the Father, and | to the Son,
* and | to the Holy Ghost,
As it was in the beginning, is now, and | ever shall be,
* world without | end. Amen.