Why standest thou so far | off, O LORD,
* and hidest thy face in the | needful time of trouble?
2 The ungodly, for his own lust, doth perse- | -cute the poor:
* let them be taken in the crafty wiliness | that they have imagined.
3 For the ungodly hath made boast of his own | heart's desire,
* and speaketh good of the covetous, | whom the LORD abhorreth.
4 The ungodly is so proud, that he careth | not for God,
* neither is | God in all his thoughts.
5 His ways are | alway grievous;
* thy judgments are far above out of his sight, and therefore de- | -fieth• he all his enemies.
6 For he hath said in his heart, Tush, I shall never be | cast down,
* there shall no harm | happen unto me.
7 His mouth is full of cursing, de- | -ceit, and fraud;
* under his tongue is un- | -godliness and vanity.
8 He sitteth lurking in the thievish corners | of the streets,
* and privily in his lurking dens doth he murder the innocent; his eyes are | set against the poor.
9 For he lieth waiting secretly; even as a lion lurketh he | in his den,
* that | he may •ravish• the poor.
10 He doth | ravish• the poor,
* when he | getteth• him •into• his net.
11 He falleth down, and | humbleth• himself,
* that the congregation of the poor may fall into the | hands of his captains.
12 He hath said in his heart, Tush, God | hath forgotten;
* he hideth away his face, and | he will never see it.
13 Arise, O LORD God, and lift up | thine hand;
* for- | -get not the poor.
14 Wherefore should the wicked blas- | -pheme God,
* while he doth say in his heart, Tush, | thou God •carest• not for it?
15 Surely | thou hast seen it;
* for thou beholdest ungodliness and wrong, that thou mayest take the matter | into thy hand.
16 The poor committeth himself | unto thee;
* for thou art the | helper of the friendless.
17 Break thou the power of the ungodly | and malicious;
* search out his ungodliness, un- | -til thou find none.
18 The LORD is King for | ever• and ever,
* and the heathen are | perished •out of• the land.
19 LORD, thou hast heard the desire | of the poor;
* thou preparest their heart, | and thine ear hearkeneth;
20 To help the fatherless and poor | unto• their right,
* that the man of the earth be no | more ex•alted• against them.
Glory be to the Father, and | to the Son,
* and | to the Holy Ghost,
As it was in the beginning, is now, and | ever shall be,
* world without | end. Amen.